Letter to the Editor

There is power in the term Latinx

Courtesy of Bennie Guzman

The term Latinx has indigenous roots and should be included in the range of Latino and Hispanic identities.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Every Hispanic Heritage Month, the same debate resurfaces over the word Latinx. In a previous column from The Daily Orange, Daniela Dorado shares her experience with the term Latinx and the different responses she received from members of her community. She dives deep into why people feel that the term Latinx is “insulting and offensive.” While I think this perspective is important, it does not explore the full spectrum of identities within the Latinx/Hispanic community.

The Latinx vs Hispanic debate regarding identity is important because the Latinx/Hispanic community is composed of various races, nationalities, cultures and histories. These differences lead to differences in cultural perspective and ideas on identity. Because of this, both these terms come with criticism for how they are used and who they represent.

Hispanic is a term that has been used for the past few centuries and is rooted in the Spanish colonization of the western hemisphere. Hispanic refers to the culture and individuals with origins in the Iberian peninsula. The term Hispanic is associated with different communities throughout the Americas, but can also be associated with communities in the Philippines and central parts of the Mediterranean. Some people throughout the Americas, specifically those who believe in decolonization, prefer to not associate their own identity with this colonial history and reject the term Hispanic.

Latinx is a contemporary term developed in queer spaces and oftened used in academic circles. The development of this term was intended to acknowledge the full gender spectrum. Rather than the use of the masculine Latino or the feminine Latina to identify people, the terms Latin@, Latine and Latinx were created to be gender neutral terms that can be used in reference to a full spectrum of identities. Additionally, the use of Latinx was meant to acknowledge indigenous roots, whose languages include the “X” sound (pronounced ks) and would use the letter “x” in spelling.

The adoption of the term Latinx is important because it is an attempt to make space for those members of our community who didn’t feel represented by the terms Hispanic or Latino. Additionally, the adoption of this term forces us to consider who gets included and excluded from when we adopt these terms. In her previous column, Dorado argues “Only if the Hispanic community acknowledges the term will it be acceptable.” That is true. But the term Latinx has been adopted by some and that has to be acknowledged.

In the Latinx/Hispanic community, people may often use both terms interchangeably or use other terms that better suit their personal and cultural identities. The Chicano (sometimes Xicanx) identity was created by Mexican Americans who wanted to reject the Black-White racial dichotomy and colonial identity. The Afro-Latino identity refers to Latinos who have more African ancestry and are often perceived as racially Black. The Tejano identity refers to the community of Mexican-Americans living in the state of Texas. The Nuyorican identity refers to the community of Puerto Rican-Americans living near New York City. Other individuals in the Latinx/Hispanic identity will also simply refer to their national identity.

There is power in the term Latinx

The use of Latinx was meant to acknowledge indigenous roots. Megan Thompson | Digital Design Director

When using the term Latinx or Hispanic, you have to consider the history and cultural context. Hispanic is not a “bad word” but it does come with specific history and culture. Latinx is not for everyone but it is an identity that people have adopted to reflect their history and gender identity more accurately.

Furthermore, it’s important to know this history for the sake of respect. Identity is an important factor of our lives, and we must respect people’s personal choices. I will not say you have to use the term Latinx or Hispanic or any other identity, because these terms don’t apply to everyone and not everyone in this community has a personal connection with these identities. But we have to acknowledge that these terms exist and are being used within this community.

Bennie Guzman, First-Year Graduate Student in the Department of Creative Art Therapy.